Q&A Copa Manageria

• Présente toi en quelques lignes pour ceux qui ne te connaissent pas. (par ex: Prénom “Pseudo” Nom, Âge, nationalité, hobbies/passions,…)

• Could you say few words about you for those who don’t know you (eg. Name, Surname, “Nickname”, Age, Nationalité, hobbies, Job…)

Hello ! My name’s Olivier Galle, but I’m mostly known as Guru around Football Manager. I’m a 29 years old french boy who loves the game & video games in general.

• Depuis combien de temps joues-tu à Football Manager ?

• How long have you been playing Football Manager?

I’ve been playing the likes of Football Manager since 1998.

• Quel est le meilleur opus selon toi et pourquoi ?

• Which iteration of this game is the best for you and why ?

I tend to think that they all are a bit better than the previous one for various reasons. Overall the game is progressing towards a very nice & interesting place, regardless of how the Match Engine works from one iteration to the other.
Some ME seems better than the ones coming the following years, but the game overall is better to me every year :stuck_out_tongue: So the best right now would probably be FM18.

• De quelle manière t’es tu porté candidat pour représenter ta nation ?

• How did you apply to represent your nation?

There has been an online form to fill in, asking us about our achievments in FM17. Numbers of trophies won basically + our best memories of the game. I had the luck of having played a great & lenghty game on that opus so that helped me out quite a bit.

• Pourquoi t’es tu présenté ?

• Why did you apply ?

The idea of the tournament was super fun to me. I’m a huge network games fan when it comes to FM (as I’ve always played with other people since 98), so it was extremely appealing to me. At the time I was thinking it was gonna be played on 17 in which I was extremely confident.

• Comment as-tu appris que tu as été retenu pour cette compétition ?

• How did you learn that you were selected for this competition?
    I recieved a mail from the people making & managing the form I talked about earlier. The first time was to let me know I was one of the 3 people they selected & they asked a couple complementary informations. 2 days later I got a call asking me if I was still available to be in London at the end of the week :grinning:

• Jouais-tu en Draft avant cela ? Cela va changer tes façons de jouer (plus de draft) ?

Did you play Draft before that? This will change the way you play (more draft)?

I was mostly playing online careers but yes I’ve played a couple fantasy drafts from time to time. I still plan on playing some every now & then. Hopefully the event will happen again next year and I’ll be representing France once more !

• As-tu passé beaucoup de temps à te préparer pour la Copa Manageria ?

• Have you spent a lot of time preparing for the Copa Manageria?

Not really. We’ve been warned at the last minute & the match engine changed twice in the week prior to the event, so it was pretty tough to get prepared honestly. The only preparations I’ve made was getting my player list ready & at the last minute reading about Guido tactic & preparing some counter measures !

• Quel est ton ressenti vis-à-vis de ta performance ?

• How are you feeling about your performance?

I’m happy. Technically I haven’t lost a full match so what I’m doing is on the right tracks. Obviously I would’ve liked to go further down the road to win it all but you never know what’s coming. It’s only a game & we played over just a couple matches so anything could happen. As far as I know, if we were to replay it completely, I might not even get through the group stage ^^

• Conserverais-tu ton équipe (il faudrait avoir les 20 joueurs à chaque fois) si c’était à refaire ? Pourquoi ? Quels changements ?
  • Would you keep your team (do you remember your 20 days) if it was again? Why ? What changes?

Mostly yes. I’m confident in these players & they proved several times they were the right picks for my play style. I might swap Bonnucci in defense that wasn’t really planned (wanted Kos !) & may be Cavani / Belotti in front if I can get my hands on some better people.

• Qui t’a le plus impressioné ? Le plus déçu ? (joueurs humains)
  • Who impressed you the most? The most disappointed? (human players)

I was impressed by everyone to be honest. All the games I’ve played & all the games I’ve watched, everytime someone made a tactical change, the momentum of the game switched. Everybody knew what they were doing & with the crazy players we all had on the pitch, anything could happen really.

• Cette compétition a-t-elle changé ta vie (virtuelle et personnelle) ?
  • Has this competition changed your life (virtual and personal)?

It’s still a bit early to be making conclusions but I’d like to think so, yes. Only time will tell :grinning:

• Comment as-tu trouvé l’efficacité de la communication et le suivit de cette Coupe du Monde de la part de Sports Interactive ? (pour les compétiteurs / pour la communauté)
  • How did you find the effectiveness of the communication and the follow-up of this World Cup on behalf of Sports Interactive? (for competitors / for the community)

I think, looking at the big picture, they could’ve done a bit better, mostly if they planned it out more in advance. All in all apart from that it was pretty good ! I think it’s only going to get much better each year. For obvious reasons, SI wanted to make it an offline event & release videos of it later on, that’s why they didn’t really plan a livestream ^^ But we made that change at the last minute & manage to do some nice coverage !

• As-tu une suggesstion à faire (personnelle) pour améliorer cela ?

• Do you have a suggestion to make (personal) to improve this?

As I said, just get the word out earlier. Let every nation prepare better the selection of their champion. Let them may be host some kind of tournament to find their best players. Get some coverage for each of these qualifiers & build the hype for the actual cup at the end of the season :grinning: The event itself was super well made & I don’t think much can be improved there.

• FM4Life, FMStories, ManagerOnline (par ordre alpahébtique) ont réussit à couvrir comme ils pouvaient l’évènement (présence, lives vidéo/twitter, article). Qu’en as-tu pensé ?
  • FM4Life, FMStories, ManagerOnline (in alphebetic order) managed to cover as they could the event (presence, lives video / twitter, article). What did you think about those ?

Being a part of it & the reason why it happened in the first place, I was pretty happy on how it came out :grinning:

• Connaisais-tu [un peu] la communauté française avant cela ? Qui ? Comment ?
  • Did you know [a little] the French community before that? Who ? How?

Yes, obviously. I pretty much know everybody involved :heart:

• Présente toi en quelques lignes pour ceux qui ne te connaissent pas. (par ex: Prénom “Pseudo” Nom, Âge, nationalité, hobbies/passions,…)

• Could you say few words about you for those who don’t know you (eg. Name, Surname, “Nickname”, Age, Nationalité, hobbies, Job…)

• Depuis combien de temps joues-tu à Football Manager ?

• How long have you been playing Football Manager?

• Quel est le meilleur opus selon toi et pourquoi ?

• Which iteration of this game is the best for you and why ?

• De quelle manière t’es tu porté candidat pour représenter ta nation ?

• How did you apply to represent your nation?

• Pourquoi t’es tu présenté ?

• Why did you apply ?

• Comment as-tu appris que tu as été retenu pour cette compétition ?

• How did you learn that you were selected for this competition?

• Jouais-tu en Draft avant cela ? Cela va changer tes façons de jouer (plus de draft) ?

• Did you play Draft before that? This will change the way you play (more draft)?

• As-tu passé beaucoup de temps à te préparer pour la Copa Manageria ?

• Have you spent a lot of time preparing for the Copa Manageria?

• Quel est ton ressenti vis-à-vis de ta performance ?

• How are you feeling about your performance?

• Conserverais-tu ton équipe (il faudrait avoir les 20 joueurs à chaque fois) si c’était à refaire ? Pourquoi ? Quels changements ?

• Would you keep your team (do you remember your 20 days) if it was again? Why ? What changes?

• Qui t’a le plus impressioné ? Le plus déçu ? (joueurs humains)

• Who impressed you the most? The most disappointed? (human players)

• Cette compétition a-t-elle changé ta vie (virtuelle et personnelle) ?

• Has this competition changed your life (virtual and personal)?

• Comment as-tu trouvé l’efficacité de la communication et le suivit de cette Coupe du Monde de la part de Sports Interactive ? (pour les compétiteurs / pour la communauté)

• How did you find the effectiveness of the communication and the follow-up of this World Cup on behalf of Sports Interactive? (for competitors / for the community)

• As-tu une suggesstion à faire (personnelle) pour améliorer cela ?

• Do you have a suggestion to make (personal) to improve this?

• FM4Life, FMStories, ManagerOnline (par ordre alpahébtique) ont réussit à couvrir comme ils pouvaient l’évènement (présence, lives vidéo/twitter, article). Qu’en as-tu pensé ?

• FM4Life, FMStories, ManagerOnline (in alphebetic order) managed to cover as they could the event (presence, lives video / twitter, article). What did you think about those ?

• Connaisais-tu [un peu] la communauté française avant cela ? Qui ? Comment ?

• Did you know [a little] the French community before that? Who ? How?

Hi mate, how are you since this week end ? Not too hard to come back to the real life ? Did your participation to the Copa Manageria change your life a little ? Maybe some journalists came in contact with you ?
Marvin
Hi !
The week end has been absolutely fantastic ! It was a superb opportunity and I’m extremely happy to have been able to take part in it. I’m still not completely over the euphoria of it to be honest but I’m doing great.
Coming back to real life was a bit odd, obviously I wished for it to last a while longer. I think the same could be said for everyone involved ! Real life still includes lots of FM and I’m still talking to almost everybody from the copa manageria so it isn’t TOO different I guess ^^
I think my participation opened some doors to me. I don’t know yet what will happen on the other side or if it will be any different from what I’m living right now, but there’s definitely some slight changes. A couple interviews here & there. I think to most change would’ve come from actually winning it all :stuck_out_tongue: which sadly wasn’t the case. But it will be next time for sure !
Marvin
So i know in France some people in the community know you for your tactics and your stream, tell us Since which year you played to FM ? Whitch FM it’s your favorite ?
Marvin
I’ve been playing the likes of FM since “L’Entraineur 98” & “Football Manager 98” (which was made by Sierra at the time). I wouldn’t say I have a clear favorite. Each year is a little improvement from the previoux iteration. So far I’m enjoying FM18 a lot. But so have I for all the previous ones
Marvin
Which tactics schema do you prefer ?
This year ? Probably the 424 but I haven’t had the time to test too much other stuff. I find it very versatile & strong in offense so I keep using it
you seems to have offensive scheme as philosophy ? Are you a kind of Bielsa’s son who wants victory but preferred much than ever the style of your team ?
I do have an offensive mindset, but I wouldn’t link myself with Bielsa. I like scoring goals & I like winning, but I’m also willing to see my flaws and adapt if need be :smiley:
For you who’s the best wonder kids in the last game ?
Tough question. I haven’t played with a lot of them yet. My favorite will have to be Paulinho (Vasco de Gama) who is extremely strong !
Which player do you picked every time in FM ?
Lemar
Could you explain us why ?
I don’t know. I’m a fan of Monaco & I love seeing him play, but even in game he seems just better than everybody else in his position.
Which new features do you prefer on FM18 ?
The affinity link between your players on the pitch
Marvin
oh yeah relations it’s really a masive news with Dynamics, As I told you this week end I’m the owner of FMStories.fr a French website focus on Stories, what was your game of you are the most proud ? Maybe a new gen youngster impressed you during your big experience of FM almost 20 years :grinning:?
Marvin
Probably my game in 17 in which I went to 2056 winning everything on several clubs :smile:
I had a regen that was a absolute monster in… FM16 I think. A spanish striker I bought in switzerland. A destroyed every goalscoring record I had ever seen, going up to 150/160 goals in one season all competitions included.
Marvin
Came back few minutes on Copa Manageria, you’ve represented your country, but how you was picked ?
The selection for the copa was made based on the number of trophies won in FM17 & the greatest achievments we made in the game overall.
Marvin
oh i understand why your last game is your favorite, it qualified you to copa no ?
Could you tell me which contender you knew before the tournament and which one impress you ?

How you feel this week end ?

Are you satisfied about your tournament ? Maybe you wanted do more ?

During this week end which contender do you was scared ?

Do you know a little bit French langage ?
Marvin
Yes that’s the game that made me go there :smiley: I mean, 40 years winning it all kinda helps having a decent trophy room :grinning:
I only knew of Guido (Holland) before the tournament. And pretty much everyone there impressed me to be honest.
“How you feel this week end” ça veut rien dire donc j’sais pas quoi te répondre
Overall I’m happy with the results yes. Of course I would’ve liked to go further & win it all but I’m definitely happy of how it went down.
I wasn’t really scared of anyone, but as I said, everybody impressed me. Everyone knew what they were doing tactic wise & that made it all the more interesting :smiley:
Marvin